Pages

Saturday, September 7, 2013

More of Les Iles de la Madeleine

      It has been a while since my visit to the Magdalen Islands, and the notes I made about each place now seem insufficient. This is the problem with going to so many places for short periods of time. I tried to write about each set of pictures I took, as we drove away and on to another stop, therefore, my notes were sketchy, and if the road was the least bit bumpy, unintelligible. I wish I could have stayed weeks here, instead of 3days.

     As I write this, I am checking my guide book for reminders of what I saw, and where it was. It would be easier if I had downloaded my pictures in sets, rather more than 200+ photos at one time. The water and cliff photos are hard to identify, since I didn't always get the information down.

     After our trip to the Islands, we went on another road trip, visiting Grand Manan, an island in the bay of Fundy, Kings Landing, near Fredericton, along with the island of Campobello, all in New Brunswick. It will take me a while to get to this trip.....

     And so I will share some pictures, and mention the things that really stand out in my memory.
There is  the beauty and peacefulness of the island, the long, beautiful sand beaches, the crumbling cliffs, and some scenes that just took my breath away.








 There was the amazing fact that the islands were formed eons ago, by salt deep in the earth bursting up through the surface because of immense pressure bearing down on it from the earth. That is a very simplified explanation, but the result is that there is a salt mine on Grosse Ile which is producing around 1.5 million metric tons of salt per year, which is exported for use on roads for de-icing. (Once again, the information comes from the guide book)



 
This type of salt is extremely rare, but was mined at Mines Seleine
 


These are all salt. I found this fascinating.
 
We went to Sea Cow Path and discovered that in the 1700s, Walrus were very plentiful but they were hunted to extinction.


 
The people on the islands were so friendly. These two gals were at the White Caps Cafe. We had visited the Little Red School House, and the Veterans' Museum, and were delighted to find this little cafe, downstairs at the school house. This was a new venture, and I am hoping that all works out for the owners. Oh, and the coffee was delicious. We chatted with these girls as though we had known them for more than just 5 minutes. It was like that with almost everyone we met. The warmth and friendliness is priceless.
 
 
More to come....when I check my notes and get my pictures in order.
 

3 comments:

  1. That's a very distinctive and haunting landscape, Bonnie, which reminds me a little of the Orkney Islands in northern Scotland. I love the photo of the different salt types and colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thinking about the Orkney pictures I've seen on blogs, I do agree that the landscape is similar. I love coastline views, with the cliffs and the water. There is something very special about being on the coast, and enjoying the spaciousness of the view. Makes me appreciate where I live as well.

      Delete
    2. Thank You, Bonnie....glad you enjoyed our little island! Hope you come back!

      Delete